Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A New Beginning

I normally don't write about politics here, and I most certainly don't spend a lot of time writing about anything in a serious tone. I'm not really a very political person, and if you've read anything here, you are well aware that 99.9% of what I write is done with tongue planted firmly in cheek.

I thought I'd veer from the norm today, since this day has the potential of being a turning point for our country. With the swearing in of Barack Obama, I have to admit that I have a sense of optimism that I haven't felt in, say, eight years or so.

I'm sure George Bush is a good, well-meaning person. The fact that we have not seen a terrorist attack in our country since 9/11 is to his credit. But so many things have gone terribly wrong in this country on his watch, and I'm sad to say that I've rarely had the feeling that he genuinely wanted to make things better.

The wake of Hurricane Katrina is a good example. President Bush visited the affected region a few times, frowned at the devastation from various angles, and promised to make it better. But most of the "real" help came in the way of getting highways and other infrastructures fixed. Individual people were left with little help and little hope.

I witnessed that firsthand when I visited Mississippi on two mission trips. I've met those people, and I've heard their stories. I met people who had lost all hope of getting back into their homes, at least until church groups came to offer help.

Mr. Bush made similar empty promises closer to home when the remnants of Hurricane Ivan blew through portions of Pittsburgh in 2004. He came to town, promised help, and eventually businesses were offered low-interest loans. That was pretty much the extent of the help that was offered here, and many of those businesses have closed their doors for good, and individual people have struggled to rebuild their homes.

Again, I respect the man, but I honestly feel as though Mr. Bush has simply lost touch with the common man over the years, if he had ever been in touch to begin with. When gas prices were up to $4 a gallon, I had joked that the solution would have been to force the president to swipe his credit card every time they refueled Air Force One. I don't think he had the slightest grasp on how badly these prices were hurting the economy, and individual people.

I had the opportunity to see Barack Obama speak on three occasions during the presidential campaign, and I count myself among those who see him as a voice of inspiration. He speaks from the heart with such remarkable charisma that it's hard not to hang on his every word. Not only does he have that likability and charm, but he seems to back it up with remarkable intelligence and concern.

There's a whole lot of fixin' that needs to be done to the country. The economy is obviously horrible. We need to get our men and women out of Iraq. People need to get back to work. The health care system is screwed up. And on and on and on.

Hopefully, in a few years I'll be able to look back at this blog entry and know that things did get better. But I am optimistic and excited about what is to come. As I'm typing this, we have about 2 ½ hours before Mr. Obama takes his oath of office. Godspeed!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice post, Hank. I'm looking forward to his term, as well.

-Abraham Anonymous Lincoln

Hoosaid Dat said...

I too am very optimistic, and I did not vote for Obama.

The conspiracy jerks are out already - have you heard that the Supreme Court Justice deliberately screwed up the oath so that historic moment would be ruined??