Monday, January 19, 2009

Here We Go Steelers…!

Those of you who know me know that I am an avid Steelers fan, and that I am lucky enough to photograph the games for a newspaper. Needless to say, last night's AFC Championship Game was a lot of fun, despite running the very real risk of being run over by Rush Limbaugh on the sidelines during pregame.

Of all of the NFL teams he could choose to like, the master of right-wing spin is a big Steelers fan ("big" both in the sense of "fanatical" and "gargantuan in stature"). For two weeks in a row, he has shown up on the sidelines before the game, along with a woman on each arm. I'm not sure if he is dating both of these women – perhaps as an audition to see who will ultimately become his next ex-wife.

You may have gathered that I'm not a big fan of Limbaugh, and you would gather correctly. I used to hear him on KDKA radio, mainly because I was too lazy to change stations back and forth every day when he came on.

He has this amazing ability to defend George Bush, no matter what dumb thing he has done. Bush could have walked into a press conference with a machine gun, firing away at everyone in sight, and Rush would justify his actions by saying that some degree of stress is only natural for someone in his position.

I must admit that I did get a great deal of satisfaction that my press credentials gave me greater freedom to roam on parts of the field where he wasn't allowed to be.

Anyway… the Steelers beat the Ravens, and are heading to the Big Dance in Tampa, which means that Pittsburghers will be weaving around in traffic, waving Terrible Towels out the window with one hand while honking their horns to the tune of "Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go!" with their other hand, while steering with their knees. I may stay off the roads for a bit…

1 comment:

Hoosaid Dat said...

Given your background in multi-media you probably already knew that Rush Limbaugh used to be a DJ on KQV back in the 60's when they played Rock & Roll and broadcast from the studio windows at rhe corner of "Walk and Don't Walk" (I think it was 7th & Smithfield). He used the on-air name "Jeff Christy" - he was one of those motor mouth fast talkers . . . OK so nothing's changed