Friday, October 10, 2008

Yet Another Sign I'm Aging...

I’ve been making a conscious effort to listen to current Top 40 music nowadays. Little Smoot is getting a teeny bit interested in current music, so I am trying to stay on top of it to some extent.

Thankfully this has been very easy, because it turns out there are only three current songs. At least that’s the clear impression I’ve gotten by listening to our local Top 40 station in Pittsburgh, B94.

Every 15 minutes they play “So What” by Pink. It’s a song that features compelling lyrics about how Jessica Simpson took her table, but she’s still a rock star, and would like to start a fight. “Na na na na na na na, Na na na na na na... We're gonna start a fight!” This song keeps me awake at night.

There’s also “Dangerous” by Kardinal Offishall. Little Smoot seems to have made up her own lyrics for this song, thinking he’s singing “She’s a faaaaat girl!”

And there’s a very weird song called “Paper Planes” by M.I.A. I don’t get this song at all. For some bizarre reason it features sound effects of gunshots and cash registers, and indecipherable lyrics. Frankly, it makes me scared.

That’s it – just three songs! I guarantee if you dial up your local CHR station, these three songs will most likely be playing back to back. Once in a while, they’ll toss in "Low" by Flo-Rida just to create the illusion that there are four songs in their music library.

Of course I have little room to criticize this kind of thing, considering I once worked at a radio station where we played “Achy Breaky Heart” every 10 minutes or so.

2 comments:

Karma Shuford said...

Yea, I've found the same thing with top40 stuff. There was a station around here that I could get for a while -- every time I tuned in, I could count on a certain song playing, or coming up within three.

I've blocked which song it was from my memory, though.

Achy Breaky Heart -- we were coming home from WV late one night. Apparently, their "tape" got stuck on ABH. I dozed off -- it was playing. I woke up -- it was playing. I thought I had only been asleep a couple of minutes when the driver told me, no, I had been asleep for almost an hour, and ABH had been playing that whole time!

(It was southern WV -- only station available at that time of night).

Hoosaid Dat said...

That's why I have satellite radio.

Yikes ! Is this actually a thread?