Monday, October 13, 2008

49 Down, 1 To Go


Dozens and dozens of letters have been pouring into Hank Smoot Central, with people asking the burning question: “Why haven’t you blogged about your life goal yet?”

Well, most people who read my blog (if there are, in fact, people who read this) already know that my life goal is to pee in every state. I’m happy to say that I have successfully peed in 49 states so far, with Hawaii being the only state I have not yet moistened.

Some people have asked me whether this goal requires me to pee outdoors, or if a regular toilet will be fine. Well, ideally, it would be best to pee outdoors because I can be sure that the pee will remain in whatever state I’m in, whereas if I use a toilet, the sewage system could potentially transport it into another state as though I had never been there at all. Nevertheless, I have allowed myself to use regular toilets for most of these visits.

There have been times that this goal has taken me well out of my intended route. For example, I drove a couple hundred miles out of the way so I could pee in Nebraska a few years ago. Actually, peeing is the only thing I did during my visit to Nebraska in 2003. I crossed the state line, found an appropriate location, did my thing and continued on my way (the actual Nebraska toilet from that visit is pictured above).

This summer we took a driving trip out West. While visiting Las Vegas, I took a little side trip into California with Little Smoot so that she could say she has been to that state. We stopped for lunch at a McDonald’s, literally a few feet across the state line, and she wanted to use the bathroom. She got to the back of the store and found that it was closed for cleaning.

Concerned, I asked her, “How bad do you have to go?” And she replied, “I don’t have to go at all. I just wanted to ‘claim California!’” That’s my girl!

1 comment:

Hoosaid Dat said...

Like father, like daughter.