Monday, October 27, 2008

Beware: Mountain Oysters


I thought it would be a good public service effort on my part to alert people about Mountain Oysters. Then again, apparently I’m one of the very few people in the world that don’t know what these are.

This summer we were driving through Texas, and Mrs. Smoot suggested that we ought to find a good steakhouse where we could have dinner as we spent a night in Amarillo. We ordered an appetizer platter, which included an abundant supply of Mountain Oysters. Being a bit naïve, I thought were indeed oysters, based on the name. Silly me.

Well, Mrs. Smoot decided to inform me (three weeks after the fact) that these were not oysters at all. No, Mountain Oysters are actually bull testicles, breaded and deep fried. I can’t help but think that maybe I wouldn’t have ordered them had I known this at the time.


We enjoyed this meal at the Big Texan steakhouse, which is actually very famous. We’ve seen it featured on the Travel Channel a few times since we’ve been home. They’re actually much better known for their monstrous 72-ounce steak. If you can eat it within an hour, it’s free; otherwise it’s $72.

I failed to pay too much attention to the description of Mountain Oysters on the menu. In fine print it said, “If you think it’s seafood, go with the shrimp.” That makes sense now…!

I have to admit that back when I thought they were oysters, they were delicious! We ate many, many of them, and you can see in the picture that Little Smoot also loved them. Someday that picture will make for wonderful blackmail material.

No comments: