Friday, October 17, 2008

The Daily Dorko Spazo

I kind of miss junior high school, because I no longer get to vote on the Daily Dorko Spazo Awards.

Yes, we had some weird traditions when I was in school. During 7th grade, a bunch of us would cast votes every day for the person we thought was most deserving of the DDS Award. We would chose the recipient based on whether the person was acting weird on this particular day, or if they had done something stupid, or if they were actually campaigning to earn the award. I believe we even had a special Dorko Spazo Button the winner could wear on his shirt.

The best thing about the award was the fact that even though I definitely met the criteria of being dorky, I would never win the award. I would have been embarrassed about it and it would have chipped away at whatever little self-esteem I had back then. But the award always went to Mark Stephens. Every day. He seemed to be pretty proud of earning it, so we would always oblige.

Another tradition I miss was the annual Jello-on-the-Cafeteria-Wall Experiment. The first time of the school year that we would be served Jello, we’d flick fragments of it on the wall to see how long it would stay there before the walls were cleaned. Let’s just say that some of those fragments are most likely still there today.

No comments: