Friday, February 13, 2009

Our Cat, the Genius

I'm beginning to think that our cat is not exactly a genius. Ok, I've been thinking that since the day we got him, but I really have to wonder about Murray some days.

For one thing, he allows Little Smoot to torture him on a regular basis, and he just doesn't care. She'll pick him up and wander around the house with him, basically wearing him as a scarf, and he'll joyfully tag along. And every night he curls up with her to go to sleep no matter how much she chased him around the house earlier.

Murray also has a very strange fixation with Ben Gay. I've been having a little bit of back pain the last couple days, undoubtedly coinciding with the fact that I'll be turning 41 next weekend, so I've been putting some Ben Gay on it. When Murray smells Ben Gay, he absolutely goes bonkers.

I put some on yesterday morning, and Genius Cat followed me around no matter where I went. He jumped up and down off my lap probably a dozen times while I was sitting at my computer, interrupting me while I was doing very vital work, like updating my blog.

Once he figured out that the Ben Gay was on my back, he started licking the back of my sweatshirt. Swell. Later I caught him licking a pillow I had earlier been leaning on. These are not traits belonging to a genius, I don't think.

No comments: