Friday, February 20, 2009

41: The New 40?

I just had a birthday. Really. It couldn't have been more than just a few weeks ago, I swear. If I could remember where I keep our calendars I'd prove that there's no way I'm due for another one so soon. But everyone seems to insist that tomorrow is the Big Day yet again.

Last year I turned 40, which was fun in that there's a brand new number at the beginning of my age, and Mrs. Smoot threw a kick butt surprise party for me. But what's fun about turning 41? Well, I hear that 41 is "the new 40," but I don't think that means I'll get another party out of the deal.

We've made reservations at my favorite Japanese steak house for tomorrow, and I'm sure someone at the table will quietly remind the staff that I'm the Birthday Boy or Girl. And that means that at some point they'll flip a switch and the scary disco ball light will illuminate and the music will shriek away in the background as Japanese people try to sing Happy Birthday, but it always comes out "Happy Borss-day!"

At least I'll get a Polaroid picture out of the deal.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woo hoo! Hassy Boossday, Hank! Have fun tonight!

Mr. Ichi-Banonymous

Hoosaid Dat said...

Let's see, in 24 years you'll be age 65 and I'll be age OH My God !

But I will still follow yinz young people up the hills to find the GC's - I did say follow, not lead