Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Mail! The Mail!

I'm just a few days away from turning 41, which begs the question: Am I too old to get excited about the mailman coming? As I'm typing this, I'm on the edge of my seat because it's later than the time the mail usually comes. And with Presidents Day yesterday, that means I've gone extra long between visits to the mailbox.

What do I expect to get in the mail today? Absolutely nothing, actually. It's too early for birthday cards, and chances are the most exciting thing in the mailbox will be an ad for Staples or something. But there's something that's just exciting about the anticipation of the mail coming, isn't there?

I'm much worse when it comes to the UPS guy. It's fairly rare that I order stuff that comes via UPS, but it's really exciting when the big brown truck comes, I think. For one thing, it creates somewhat of a spectacle for the neighbors. When they see the truck pull up to your driveway, they know you're likely getting something in a box. Oooooh! A box! That can only mean you're getting something exciting!

I've often thought that it would be fun to have very trivial things sent via UPS, like boxes of Kleenex for example, just for the sake of having them delivered in the big brown truck. Uh oh… I'd write more about this, but I can hear the mailman coming… gotta run!

1 comment:

Teri Enciso said...

i absolutely love the mail. but i think i'd love it more if i were older. i'm too young and not yet established to get things in the mail daily. my husband. who thankfully pays the bills gets all the mail. because everything is a bill that we get. I will UPS you something.