Friday, May 22, 2009

Woooo... My Pants are Vibrating!

I'm obviously running out of ideas for things to blog about, so today I thought I'd ponder an age-old question: How, exactly, do they make our cell phones vibrate?

I have a couple theories on this oft-debated subject. I like to think that there's simply a tiny little man inside my phone, and he is hooked up to a couple electrical wires that are connected to the battery. Every time the phone rings, an electrical charge is sent into this man, and he freaks out and causes the phone to vibrate. Poor little guy. That would help explain why my batteries run out so quickly.

Or instead of a little man, maybe there's a teeny little yappy dog. When the phone detects an incoming call, the dog is doused with water, and the dog instinctively shakes it off, thereby causing the vibrating effect.

I got desperate and actually Googled the answer, and I have learned that in reality the phone has a little motor in it with an off-center weight. When activated, the motor spins and the spinning of the weight causes the vibration.

In nearly every Google result on this subject, they compare the mechanism of the phone to a similar, larger one that is implanted into the ever popular and annoying Tickle-Me-Elmo dolls.

This, naturally, begs the question: What if Tickle-Me-Elmo had a cell phone, and it was set to vibrate? The ramifications of such a thing would probably cause a disruption in the time-space continuum.

As you can probably tell, I am obviously ready for a nice, long weekend. The Smoots don't have a whole lot of stuff planned for the holiday weekend, but let us hope that I use this time to come up with something better to blog about by Tuesday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why don't we grill something together on Monday perhaps?
--Bio partner