Monday, May 18, 2009

Food on a Stick Weekend

Phew! I'm doing my best to recover from our annual Food on a Stick Weekend.

Our community has a "Nationality Days" festival every year, and as a result we spend a few days eating nothing but food that can be served on a stick.

As per usual, we enjoyed a few entrees of chicken on a stick, along with egg rolls on a stick, chocolate-covered strawberries on a stick, pierogies on a stick, apple dumplings on a stick, gyros on a stick, and Pepsi on a stick.

For breakfast, of course, I had oatmeal on a stick.

As of 6:00 last night, the festivities were over, and all I could do was sit on the couch like a greasy lump and reflect upon the weekend.

As I look back upon these last few days, I often wonder where these people come from who attend this festival every year. I have to say there are some exceptionally bizarre people who show up, seemingly out of nowhere, to attend the festival, and I'd swear I never see these people the rest of the year. I'd certainly remember most of them.

We'll see every whacky hair style, and many young girls who are apparently contestants in the annual Dress Like a Prostitute Contest. I just don't see these people in non-festival settings. I just wonder if they are nomadic festival people who just wander from carnival to festival, and back to other carnivals throughout the year.

No comments: