Thursday, May 21, 2009

Lost Without the Boobs on the Tube

(NOTE: I've been looking for a reason to use the word "boobs" in the title of a blog entry. Now I can check that off my list.)

Anyhow... what am I supposed to do now? Nearly every day for the last several months has been defined by whatever show is on television that night. For example, Monday has not been known as "Monday" here at Smoot Central; it has been known as "House Night."

Tuesday has been Fringe Night, and Tuesdays and Wednesdays have both been American Idol Nights.

Sunday has otherwise been known as The Amazing Race and The Simpsons Night. And now all of these shows have had their season finales. Now I'm lost without all of my favorite shows.

Last night we saw Kris Allen being crowned as the new American Idol. That was weird for a couple reasons. First, it was shocking that he was able to beat the hugely popular Adam Lambert. But it was also weird for me because I used to be Kris Allen. Really.

Back in my radio days, I worked as a DJ at a station that wouldn't allow me to use my real name. Apparently "Hank Smoot" doesn't have a great ring to it. So back around 1990, I spent a couple years on the radio using the name Kris Allen. So hearing people chanting "We Love Kris Allen" was a little weird since it brought back a lot of imaginary memories of people chanting those same words about me a couple decades ago.

Anyway, maybe this gives me an idea about how I can spend the summer since all of my favorite shows are done for the year. Perhaps I'll go on tour...

No comments: