Thursday, April 30, 2009

An Enchanted Evening

I have always thought that many reporters are whacked out of their minds based on some of the questions they tend to ask at press conferences:

Reporter: Was the president saddened by the explosion of the space shuttle?
Spokesperson: No, he thought it was the prettiest pyrotechnics display he's ever seen. Moron.

As far as I recall, that wasn't the exact question or response during a press conference after the Challenger disaster in 1986, but I remember an exchange that was hauntingly close to that.

Did you happen to watch President Obama's press conference last night? One of the reporters asked him an extremely thorough question which included a query about the president's "most enchanted moment" during his first 100 days in office.

I looked up the word enchanted, and it means, "To act upon with or as if with magic." I'm pretty sure I've never been enchanted, even while standing under Cinderella's castle at Disney World. I really doubt that Mr. Obama spends much time being enchanted, either, despite the fact that he came up with some story about members of the military who have enchanted him, or some such thing.

You never hear people admit that they're enchanted, let alone the president. ("Good morning, how are you today?" "I'm enchanted, thank you.")

So did the reporter come up with that question on his own, or was he walking out of the door of his newspaper and an editor came running up to him in the parking lot, out of breath, to say, "Oh, don't forget to ask the president if he's enchanted! Everyone else will be asking silly questions about the economy, Iraq and the Swine Flu!"

Alright, enough about all of this. I have to go sprinkle some fairy dust on my hard drive.

1 comment:

toni said...

those were my thoughts as well when I was watching. I kept asking my husband where these reporters came from? I thought they were all from the Star Magazine. who even says enchanted unless it is a fairy tale...