Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Tying One (or Two) On at Easter

Easter Sunday morning proved to be the perfect recipe for me to do something so dumb that I once again have to question my own sanity situation.

We went to our church's early service, which itself is a problem when you take into consideration the word "early." I am not a morning person by any means. Since it was Easter, I decided to comply with tradition and wear The Suit. I am not a suit-wearing individual by any means.

Mrs. Smoot and Little Smoot were playing in the handbell choir for this service, so we arrived extra early so they could warm up, adjust the tension on their pellethane restraining springs, wax their mallets, or whatever the heck it is bell people do prior to performing. I headed off to use the restroom, and made a point of greeting several people along the way.

As I was washing my hands I was admiring my charming Easter morning appearance in the mirror, thinking what a stud muffin I was, all cleaned up and wearing a suit and everything. Those pleasant observations were quickly interrupted by the following thought, which I may have thought out loud: "Why on Earth am I wearing TWO TIES!?"

Yep, for reasons I simply cannot explain, I had not one, but two neckties on. I can't even begin to fathom how this occurred, exactly. I hurried up and yanked one of them off and headed out to the car to hide the evidence by stuffing the extra one into the glove compartment.

And I spent a good bit of time trying to remember how many people I had encountered prior to making this discovery. I figured that the people who knew me pretty well probably didn't think too much of it since I manage to do dumb things pretty often. But I am concerned about the people I may have greeted who didn't know me so well...

2 comments:

Toni said...

i am laughing so hard i am crying... how do you get 2 ties on? that is too much! and no one would tell you?

Hoosaid Dat said...

I haven't had a good laugh out loud like this for a long time.

I can see you standing in front of the mirror with that look of "what the . . .?" surprise.

Thanks for the cache, um, no uh, thanks for the morning uplift.