Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Happy Pranksgiving!

Ah, April Fool's Day. I thought about using today's blog entry to pull some kind of prank, but obviously I wouldn't want to taint the journalistic excellence my readers have come to expect.

I even thought about using this opportunity to finally reveal that I am indeed a lesbian, trapped in a man's body. But why spoil that secret.

In my early years, I used to dream about April 1st like it was Christmas. I'd spend the entire day pulling stupid and annoying pranks on whoever might be within reach. I fondly remember the time early in my high school years when I had a friend at our local radio station call my dad and tell him he'd win a trip for four to Florida if he could name the last three songs they played. My dad couldn't stand listening to the local station, let alone being able to identify current songs, so it was pretty funny. I still have a tape recording of that somewhere.

I pulled some really good pranks in college, including the time I had an annoying acquaintance convinced that, due to a computer error, all of his classes for the next semester had to be switched. I mailed him a convincing-looking computer printout that suggested he was going to have to take classes like Basket Weaving 101 the following semester, along with a note that said he may need to sign up for summer courses to make up for missing required classes. He wasn't thrilled. Neither was the admissions office when they thought maybe someone had broken into their computer to switch his classes.

Some friends and I also had tons of fun at the expense of an obsessive compulsive friend who lived in our dorm. He's probably still in therapy. Oh, and we had great fun with a Japanese guy down the hall who spoke almost no English. That's another story entirely.

Now, all these years later, April Fool's Day is pretty much like every other day. I wonder if Little Smoot would notice shaving cream in her shoes. Hmmm…

No comments: