Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Adventures With the Two-Pronged Prongy

Thanks to my ongoing fascination with Facebook, yesterday I reconnected with a friend I met at church camp back in 1983. It brought back many fond memories of those days at Camp Lutherlyn, near Butler, PA!

I can remember how we used to have these young counselors, many of whom had aspirations of becoming preachers, at least until they had us as campers. I did find one of my old counselors on a web site a couple years ago. Somehow he did manage to go into the ministry, despite our efforts to thwart him.

Anyway, I often think about some of those people from my days at camp, and I can't help but wonder what they're up to now. Specifically, I'd love to know whatever happened to Bob Pearson, inventor of the Two-Pronged Prongy (pictured above). I keep expecting to see Billy Mays on TV pitching this fine product, which Bob invented during one of our weeks at camp.

It's such a multifaceted piece of equipment; I truly believe everyone should own a few. Bob simply took a coat hanger, and twisted it in such a way that it could be used as a long, thin pair of tongs. We were able to use it for all sorts of purposes, including but not limited to: picking stuff up off the ground without needing to bend over... torturing frogs and other small animals... chasing girls with it, although I'm not sure what we would have used it for if we caught one... and of course, poking people while they were sleeping.

By the end of the week we probably had a couple dozen Two-Pronged Prongies in our inventory, but only a few of them were really well-crafted. I guess I should use this opportunity to apologize to the kids who came to camp the week following us, because I have no idea how they may have been able to hang their coats up.

2 comments:

Hoosaid Dat said...

That looks oddly like the Left Handed smoke shifter.

Hank W. Smoot said...

I had to Google that one...!