Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Dealing With the Chartreuse Screen of Doom

I spent most of yesterday (and continuing this morning) farting around with an old computer to try to get it to work. So you can just imagine what a great mood I've been in.

I've had this computer for around five or six years, which makes it about an age of 300 in computer years. The keyboard is actually made of stone, and the mouse is an actual mouse.

This computer has had basically two primary responsibilities for the last couple years. I use it to display pictures to prospective photography customers, and I use it to back up some files. Even a reasonably well-trained cat could probably provide similar services.

This computer has been a problem child for a long time. And trying to upgrade it has been extremely aggravating. It has given me the famous Blue Screen of Death, the Red Screen of Warning, and the dreaded Chartreuse Screen of Doom while I've been messing with it.

I have made some headway with it, but I am still mentally exhausted after tinkering with it for so long. Of course, when it came time to give it a name, I dubbed it "The Damn Thing" so that is how it will appear on our home network.

As I'm typing this, The Damn Thing is attempting to install Windows XP Service Pack 3, which means that once this "upgrade" is finished, the computer will likely no longer boot up at all. At least that has been my history with that particular procedure in the past.

You'll know that things didn't go well if you drive past my house and see a whole bunch of electronic gizmos out by the curb, our curtains pulled to the side, and my Pruis replaced with a horse and buggy. The Amish life is sounding better and better.

No comments: