Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Meeting Adjourned!

You know what I don't miss? Meetings, that's what.

I've been lucky enough to be working out of the house for a few years now, and I've come to realize that the biggest benefit to this arrangement is that it's extremely rare that I have to be involved in meetings.

We used to have meetings quite often – way too often if you ask me -- and it seems like there was never anything useful that came out of them. Most of them seemed like they were never ever going to end. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them were still going on.

Our boss used to call for meetings constantly, and it was very rare that any of us could define the actual point to any of them. I could tell that he just liked having meetings. While other kids were out playing Cowboys and Indians, I'm betting that he was holding pretend meetings when he was a child.

At work quite often we would all gather together around a big, wooden desk, and the boss would say something like, "Ok. According to my calculations, we will be running completely out of money by 2:36 this afternoon. What are your ideas?" We had those meetings pretty often, and he'd usually encourage us to brain storm our amazing ideas "no matter how dumb we thought they might be."

In those cases, we'd all sit there and stare at each other, kinda secretly hoping he'd just tell us we were all laid off so we could go out and have a beer and be done with it. After several minutes of awkward silence, one of us would chime in with a dumb idea, and he'd let us know how dumb an idea it was and we'd all go back to being quiet again.

Ah, how nice it is to go through long periods of time without any sorts of meetings. It's just me and the cat now. We have meetings every so often, me and Feline Smoot. His ideas are usually pretty dumb, though.

2 comments:

Toni said...

I hate meetings. We have them it seems like every day and when the boss says a short meeting, you better clear the entire morning and take a snack because its gonna be a good 4 hours! I wish I could work from my house all the time and be free of meetings. Someday...

Hoosaid Dat said...

In my final days of working for some one else, I worked for a boss that insisted we hold "pre-meeting meetings" so we'd be prepared for the "meeting".

We were living in a true "Dilbert" world.