Tuesday, September 16, 2008

I AM JUST LOOKING...!


I'm seriously thinking about getting a customized shirt that says, "I'M JUST LOOKING. LEAVE ME ALONE!"

I like to go into Best Buy and Circuit City just to look. But apparently this is discouraged at these stores. As soon as I walk in the door of these places, there's someone literally right there inside the door asking me if I need help. Do I look that helpless? These people look at me as if it's astounding that I even figured out how to get to the parking lot, let alone navigate through the door. Now that I somehow managed to enter the store, surely I could use some help now!

Once I get through the first "helpful" person, I'll start striding briskly past various departments, being very careful to avoid making eye contact with anyone, but these obnoxious people will just materialize out of thin air, right in front of me, to see if I need help. "NO. I AM JUST LOOKING" I tell them.

I'll find an area of the store where I have an interest, and I'll begin just looking at stuff. And sure enough, one of these dang Geek Squad people, or whatever, will sidle up to me and treat me like I'm a dazed Alzheimer's patient who had just wandered away from the home. "NO. I AM JUST LOOKING!"

You know how some people will squirt water at their dogs to discourage bad behavior? I thought it would be an interesting experiment to take a spray bottle into these stores to see if it would fend off the sales people:

GEEK: "Hi. Welcome to Best Buy! May I help..."
WATER BOTTLE: (PSSSHHT PSSSSHT!)
GEEK: "Ewww."

I doubt it would work, though, unless the water bottle was filled with some sort of nasty acid or something. But it's an idea worthy of further research.

Of course the irony is that once in a great, great while I will actually want the assistance of someone who can answer a question about an item. And naturally when I do have a question I can never find someone to answer it. Figures.

No comments: