Thursday, September 3, 2009

Swimming Toward Elderlyhood

Little Smoot and I spent a significant portion of our summer at our local pool, which we always enjoy. We have a good time together, diving off the board, getting nice tans, seeing friends, and keeping the concession stand in business by ingesting a disturbing number of Chips Ahoy ice cream cakes.

Things were going very nicely at the pool again this year, up until a tremendously disturbing incident last month involving a young boy. Was this kid picking on Little Smoot, or swearing, or otherwise creating a disturbance? No, he did something infinitely worse.

Little Smoot came rushing over to me after playing with this kid for a bit, and she took great glee in telling me that this boy asked her, "Is that your grandfather?" after seeing me playing with her.

I nearly dropped my dentures right out of my mouth when she said that one. "Your GRANDFATHER?" I asked. She said that she told the kid, "No, that's my dad," but he replied, "Well, he does have gray hair."

Just shoot me.

I thought about going over and beating the living tar out of the little whippersnapper with my cane, but I wasn't sure if Medicare would cover any injuries the kid would cause me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm...

About a year ago, I had a sales clerk ask me if I wanted the senior discount applied to my purchase. Turns out this particular store gives senior discounts beginning at age 55. I knew I looked old due to health issues, but 15 years older?

Hubieboo said...

2 words... Grecian Formula.

Hoosaid Dat said...

Take the discounts !!!