Friday, September 11, 2009

How To Impress the Babes

I was visiting East Branch Dam in Elk County last weekend, and it reminded me of a story. Lots of things remind me of stories; that's why I have a blog.

Anyway... I enjoyed walking over the breast of the dam for a couple reasons. For one, it gave me a legitimate reason to use the word "breast" in a blog entry. And it gave me a chance to think back to the day when a friend and I decided that we should swim the width of the dam for some reason.

I guess the reason we decided to do this had something to do with the fact that we were attempting to impress the girls who were with us. I eventually married one of them, so apparently this stunt worked like a charm. After all, nothing makes a woman more filled with lust than seeing two out of shape guys wade into a seaweed infested lake where there was a good chance at least one of us could drown or be eaten by a school of angry perch.

The swim from one side to the other was about half a mile, and neither of us were exactly Olympians, but we went for it. The girls were counting on us.

Mike and I began our epic journey into the water, and as we were about half way to our goal, we were approached by a patrol boat, lights flashing and everything. They asked us what on Earth we were doing, and we told them that we simply decided to swim across the lake ("because it was there" I suppose).

Much to our surprise, the officer told us that it was actually perfectly legal to swim across the lake. Very stupid, but legal. (This was around 1991, so I'm not sure if it's legal to do this nowadays. It's probably still considered to be stupid, though.)

So the officer allowed us to continue our swim, but they followed us with the boat the rest of the way across the lake, figuring that at least one of us was bound to die in the process.

Both of us made it across just fine, thank you Mr. Boat Cop Dude. And you can only imagine how impressed the girls were.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Now THAT was a tasty flashback at a time when two manly men tackled the rough and tumble lake. (In your best old man voice): I remember back in 1991 we swam...we swum...we did had swammied across the lake. We had them ladies' oohs and aahhs from 300 yards away.