Friday, June 5, 2009

May The Force Be With You

I had a chance to see something unusual last weekend: professional women's football!

Unbeknownst to me, but knownst to others in the area, the Smoots' community is the home of the Pittsburgh Force, part of the Women's Football Alliance.

Friends of ours (and avid readers of the Smoot Files, I might add!) had been trying to get us to come to a game all season, but our schedules hadn't permitted it until last week.

It turns out that one of the girls from The Force is a Punxsutawney native, just like me. And she was quite impressive to watch, too. Jessica (in black, facing the camera in the photo above) played both offense and defense, and scored a couple times while we were there (yes, I am fully aware that this sentence could be interpreted in an entirely different way -- get your minds out of the gutter, people).

I'm not sure what I was expecting when Little Smoot and I arrived at the game, but I must say it was quite entertaining to watch! I was probably expecting the players to be... I dunno... more "girly" about the sport. I thought maybe they'd be apologizing to one another after tackles, and taking great care not to mess up their hair or nails or whatever.

But that certainly wasn't the case. Some of these girls were roughly the size of Mack trucks, and they seemed to have little trouble with the concept of knocking the crap out of the opposition. I was rather glad I was in the stands and not on the field, frankly.


I also thought maybe they'd have male cheerleaders on the sideline to go along with the gender-stereotype-bending theme, but that wasn't the case either. Instead, believe it or not, they had: Darth Vader. Get it? The Force? Darth Vader? So that was a little odd, seeing Darth and a Storm Trooper wandering around along the field.

At the end of the game, the fans headed down to the sidelines to greet their favorite players. It was amusing to see that some of the young fans would run up to the players, addressing them as "Mommy." You just don't hear that at Steelers games.

3 comments:

Hoosaid Dat said...

You haven't seen anything until you have seen a female Rugby match.

c miller said...

hey, this is Jessica's
FAVORITE AUNT.
I just wanted to thak you for the cool witty write up!
Do you have any more photos?
We could buy 'em or something if you do.
Thanks, AC

Hank W. Smoot said...

Unfortunately, not really... next season I'll bring my "real" camera along, and get some good ones for you before the sun goes down. The one I posted here is probably the best of the bunch, and it took plenty of doctoring to get it to this point :)