Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Another One Down...

Yesterday was the last day of school. I know that when I was in school, it seemed like it took an eternity to get through each grade. But now it seems like they just fly on by, at least for me as a parent. It really doesn't seem like it was all that long ago that Little Smoot began her first day of 5th Grade.

I'm not exactly sure what the kids may have learned in these last couple weeks. It seems like the last couple weeks of school purely exist to meet state requirements, and apparently the state doesn't require the kids to learn anything.

Our last couple weeks have included Kennywood Day (a day at an amusement park), Field Trip Day, Fun Day (with bouncy things to play on), Sleep Through Class Day, Bring a Wii to School Day, Blow Off Day, Pretend to be Sick Day, Teacher Hangover Day and Two Hours of School to Meet the State Requirement Day.

Yesterday, the kids began school at 9:00, and were home at 11:00. I'm sure they crammed a lot of education into those two hours.

Thankfully, Little Smoot has been doing great, academically. This year she suffered her first B+ (in music, of all things), but she had straight-A report cards the rest of the year. I guess we'll have to buy her a pony as a reward, or something.

I know that school has been very beneficial to her because yesterday I asked her, "So, what did you learn this year?" And of course she answered, "Um. Nothing." That's my girl!

No comments: