Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Ice Creeeeeeeeam!

Now that it's summertime, the Ice Cream Man has been swinging through the neighborhood.

I hear him almost every day now, with his extremely low-fidelity speakers on his van, playing terribly annoying music, slowly prowling the neighborhood to entice kids to come running.

I was outside mowing the yard the first day I heard him a few weeks back. Since it was hot out, I sprinted out in front of him to make sure he stopped so I could buy an ice cream cookie thing.

A couple days later, I heard him coming through the neighborhood, and Little Smoot and I both ran out to stop him in his tracks.

Now here's the problem. It seems that now Mr. Ice Cream Man seems to have developed a strategy with us. Like I mentioned, and as I'm sure you're aware, ice cream trucks come equipped with really bad loudspeakers, and they play the absolute worst music ever created ("Turkey in the Straw" and "It's a Small World" for example).

For several days in a row now, he has been literally stopping his van out in front of our house, knowing that Little Smoot and I have little ability to resist ice cream, and knowing that his music is dreadfully annoying. So while he's sitting there, we'll be subjected to that terrible music until either he eventually goes away on his own, or we finally go insane, give in and buy more ice cream.

Clever man, I must say.

No comments: