Thursday, March 12, 2009

It's Coming: Pi Day!

You may be aware that we recently celebrated "Square Root Day." A bunch of nerds got all excited because a few days ago the date was 3/3/09. Since 3 times 3 = 9, and nine is a square root, someone decided to call it "Square Root Day," and it was on the news and everything.

This amazing event only happens so often. The last time was 2/2/04, which was overshadowed, so to speak, by Groundhog Day. Square Root Day won't happen again until 4/4/16, and then 5/5/25, and so forth.

I failed to get too excited about this whole thing, mainly because I hate math. I can remember when I was in college and I had to take an algebra class, and it was only through Mrs. Smoot's wonderful tutoring that I managed to pass. Barely.

My algebra teacher had some kind of fascination with making us figure out what "X" was. We'd spend a whole afternoon figuring out that X was his secret code word for "7" or some such thing. And then the next day, sure enough, X would mean something completely different. He was always jerking us around about X.

Anyway, since I'm as much of a good sport as anyone about this stuff, I decided to invent Pi Day. That will occur this Saturday, at 1:59 p.m. See, Saturday is 3/14... and Pi is 3.14159. So I am suggesting that at 1:59 p.m. everyone eat a piece of pie on Saturday. Just don't ask me what "Pi" actually means. Pi could be X for all I know.

Anyway, enjoy your piece of pie. And be sure to alert the media and all of your pocket-protector-obsessed friends!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for letting me know that a few days ago... i am going to be talking about pi day in a couple days! my sister told me it was already invented though. but we can pretend that you invented it because you are the first that told me about it. keep up the good work
TLC

Hank W. Smoot said...

Well, let me know who else invented it so I can have them beaten to a bloody pulp...

Hank W. Smoot said...

I'll be darned: http://www.piday.org/

WHY DOES EVERYONE STEAL MY BEST IDEAS?!