Thursday, March 19, 2009

Another Adventure in the Smootmobile

It's that time again! It's time once again for me to hop into the Smootmobile and head out for another adventure. I'll be getting up early tomorrow morning (getting up early will probably be an adventure of its own) and heading south for a church mission trip.

I'll be picking up two other members of our church, and we'll drive to Memphis, TN, to spend our first night. We'll be meeting up with several dozen other people who are making the trip from this area, and we'll somehow be stuffing 3-4 people into each room for the night. I've done the math, and considering there are generally only two beds in a hotel room, I have elected to bring along a sleeping bag.

We'll continue on to New Orleans on Saturday, where we'll all get heavily intoxicated and throw beads at one another. Well, probably not. But we will take some time to explore the city a bit before we head to the small town of Dulac, about an hour and a half south of the Big Easy.

A friend of mine reminded me that Dulac is actually the name of the town in the movie Shrek, so I'll be curious to see whether there are any similarities. Perhaps I'll see an ogre.

We'll be helping to conduct hurricane cleanup work, which could come in the form of painting, roofing, drywall, or whatever. I'll be more than happy to help out with whatever they deem appropriate. Once they recognize that my "manly skills" are quite limited, maybe they'll tell me that the best way I can help is to simply sit in a corner and not touch anything. We'll see.

I do not expect to have much in the way of Internet access while I'm on this trip, and I doubt I'll have a plethora of spare time during the week, either, so you'll have to somehow cope with the fact that there will likely be no new Hank Smoot Files until I return. Judging from the lack of comments for the past several days, I may very well be the only one who notices anyway! In any event, I'm sure we'll all get through it. I'm sure I'll be refueled with whacky anecdotes come March 30.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

good luck on your trip. i enjoy getting my daily dose of the hank smoot files, so you will be missed.

Hoosaid Dat said...

Have fun on your trip.

Do some good with the people you will be working for/with (and also do some good geocaches too).

I'm going into Smoot withdrawal now . . .. uhhhhhhhhh