Thursday, June 3, 2010

Thank You for Thanking Me!

I think I may have started something that could spiral into a never-ending chain reaction.  I'm a little concerned.

See, when we went to Hawaii, one of the highlights of our trip was an awesome luau on Maui.  We had reserved the luau several months in advance, and we were seated right up front and center as a result of booking so early.  We had the pleasure of sitting with a very nice couple from Wisconsin for the dinner and show.

While we were there, I had taken a photo of this couple, and they asked if I would mind sending them a copy, and I told them I would.  I'm sure they never in a million years expected me to actually send them a print, but I was born with this stupid conscience that would have kept me up at night had I decided to simply blow this off.

So a week or so after we got back from our trip, I mailed them a 5x7 print and a nice note letting them know how much we enjoyed visiting with them that night.

Here it is, a couple weeks later, and I got this mysterious package in today's mail.  Inside was a nice note from them, along with a block of Wisconsin cheese and some locally-made sausage!  Very cool.  I enjoy snacks like that, especially when they come directly from an area that's famous for particular kinds of food like that.  I'd probably be in my glory if someone sent me a fresh potato directly from Idaho, or a fresh bowl of chowder from Boston... or a fry from France.

Now I feel compelled to drop them another note to thank them for their kind gesture.  But what if that prompts them to send me another note, thanking me for thanking them?  Obviously I'd have to send them yet another note, thanking them for thanking me for thanking them, and so it would go on and on.  I just don't envision any possible scenario that involves a peaceful ending.

When I posted this dilemma on Facebook, one of my friends suggested that this is just the kind of gesture that can progress to the point where we exchange cards on holidays forever, and eventually we'll vacation together and ultimately we'll all move into the same retirement village.  I would not be at all surprised.

No comments: