Thursday, June 17, 2010

Maker of Labels

I like labeling things.  Always have.

I can remember having one of those old label makers when I was a kid.  Remember the ones where you had to twirl that round thing around to each individual letter, and then squeeze the trigger with all of your might to emboss the letter into the tape?  And then when you screw up a single letter you have to start all over again?  I can attribute my amazing wrist strength to all of the exercise I used to get with that thing.

Nowadays things are much more convenient when it comes to making labels.  I have had a "Brother P-touch" label maker for several years, and it's just awesome.  It has a regular keyboard, so I can just type what I want, and *poof*, out comes a very professional-looking label.

Since it's so easy now, I label everything.  If you look closely in our house, you'll find that there are labels all over the place.  Any time we buy a new appliance or electronic gadget (which I tend to do almost weekly) I always label the date on it, along with where we bought it.  This way, I can see how long our stuff lasts without having to guess when we bought it.

I have even labeled some of our new, allegedly energy efficient lights to see how long they last.  They claim that they're supposed to be good for many years, but my labels will reveal the truth!  Take that, light manufacturers!

I also labeled the cat the other day.  He didn't seem too enthusiastic about it, but for an hour or so he ran around the house with a label on his tail that said, "CAT."  That way, I knew exactly what type of pet I was looking at, as he ran around in circles in an attempt to remove the label.

I thought I'd share all of this with you in case you ever wanted a reliable way to see how long your various appliances last, or if you want to keep track of what types of pets you have.

No comments: