Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Little Smoot's Croonin' Debut

Ahhhh.  We're breathing sighs of relief here in Smootville.  Little Smoot had her Christmas concert at school last night, and she did a great job with her solo.

She came home from school just a couple weeks ago and announced that the director had asked her to do a solo.  I remember my jaw dropping down to the floor as I asked her, "And you said yes!?"

I can admit it:  Smoots are not generally gifted when it comes to singing.  I don't even sing at home when I'm alone.  The last time I did that, we didn't see the cat for several days.  Ok, I will admit that after six beers I will do karaoke, but that's entirely different and carries with it no expectations of being in key or anything.

So Little Smoot said she had agreed to do this solo, and for the longest time she did not know what song she was being assigned.  And when she did find out what song it was, she didn't seem particularly concerned about practicing it.

Finally, she came home one day and said she knew all of the words, so I asked her to sing it for me.  Let's just say that if she had been singing this on American Idol, Randy Jackson would have described it as being "a little pitchy, dawg."  And I honestly wouldn't have wanted to hear Simon's critique.

I was definitely a little apprehensive when it came time to go to the school last night.  I considered a few different options, in case she ended up being really, really bad.  I thought about sitting next to the exit so I could sneak out.  Or maybe I'd sit near the fire alarm so I could trip it if things got really out of hand.

But sure enough, our little girl got up there and did a very nice job with it, and I didn't have to sneak out the exit after all.  We were very proud of her; she did something that no other Smoot would dare to attempt!  Good job, dawg!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

See, one taste of the stage at a rock concert, and here she goes...

-Anonymous Idol