Friday, December 4, 2009

Bleepin' Beepin'

Every single thing in our house beeps.  And what's worse is that everything in our house emits the same beep.  Same frequency, same duration, same everything.

Off the top of my head, I can think of several things right near me that share the same beep.  Let's see.  There's the microwave, the smoke detector (when it's low on batteries), the carbon monoxide detector (when it wants to notify me that I'm about to die of Mystery Fumes), the cell phone, washing machine, dryer, my car (when locking or unlocking it with the remote), and of course the oven (when it reaches a designated temperature).  I'm sure there are several more.

So I was sitting here the other morning, and I heard a single "Beep."  Swell.  Was my laundry done?  Was my lunch ready?  Did I accidentally unlock my car?  Or, better yet, was I about to be overcome with carbon monoxide?

I spent a good bit of the day checking out various possibilities.  When Mrs. Smoot got home, she asked me how I had spent the day and I responded by saying, "I didn't do anything today," which sounded a lot more productive than the fact that I was chasing down the source of a lone beep.

Many hours later I finally figured out that Little Smoot had received a text message on her phone, causing the beep.  After spending so much time on a fruitless search, I really started rooting for the carbon monoxide, frankly.

3 comments:

Mrs. Smoot said...

I always wondered how someone could do "nothing" all day. The jig is up!

Anonymous said...

Don't get me started on the damn carbon monoxide monitor. Mine ended up costing me a significant amount above and beyond the purchase price, and for only a false alarm...

-Bleepin Anonymous

Hoosaid Dat said...

We spent an afternoon removing batteries from smoke detectors, CO Alarms, phones, etc trying to find the bleeping beep finally found that our grandson had messed with the settings on the dishwasher.