Wednesday, December 23, 2009

A Christmas Conspiracy

I enjoy conspiracy theories as much as the next guy, so I'm going to create one of my own.  I think that a town near Smootville specifically designed their community Christmas lights in such a way that they allow the local police to collect more traffic fines.

Ok, I suppose I should explain that one.

This particular town apparently has Clark W. Griswold as its mayor, given the number of lights strewn up and down the street.  In addition to all of the small, multi-colored lights, they also have these big bell-shaped lights that are strung across the street.  And these lights are the same color as the regular stop lights that are tossed into the mix, and they're positioned pretty much in the same way as stop lights.

So as a result, I find myself driving down the street, slamming on my brakes, thinking that I'm seeing a red light above me, and then finding out that it's just a Christmas light.  Meanwhile, other people are breezing through the real red lights, assuming that they're simply decorations.  It would be very interesting to stand there with a video camera just to capture the various driving oddities that take place on any given night during the holidays.

I can almost hear the discussion during a borough council meeting earlier in the year:

"But how are we going to pay for all of these lights?"

"I've got it!  We can make 'em look like traffic lights, and then arrest every other car for driving erratically!"

Of course I'd like to think that this is merely a theory, but part of my brain really has to wonder...

No comments: