Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Calling All Shawties

My taste for music has never exactly matured.  Granted, I haven't matured in most any other way, either, but anyhow...

I have done a pretty good job of keeping up with current music, long beyond most of my contemporaries, who have either adapted their listening habits to age-appropriate music, or they have actually already died, or whatever.  My brother was rather dumbfounded at Thanksgiving when I told him I'd rather listen to Kanye West than Dave Matthews.

Nowadays, Little Smoot has been getting into Top 40 music pretty heavily.  She can sing all the words to pretty much any song we hear on the radio, and we enjoy listening to these things together.

Mrs. Smoot has taken her to several Christian concerts over the past couple years, and they've both really enjoyed doing that.  These are obviously nice, wholesome outings, where they're surrounded by nice, wholesome people, even though the concerts have a rock edge to them and are much like any other rock concert.

Well, to balance her out a bit, I took Little Smoot to a Flo-Rida concert last night in Pittsburgh.  Even most fuddy-duddies who have no idea who Flo-Rida is would probably recognize the song "Low," which you'll almost definitely hear if you ever attend a wedding reception nowadays:

"Shawty had them apple bottom jeans (jeans)
Boots with the fur (with the fur)
The whole club was looking at her
She hit the floor (she hit the floor)
Next thing you know
Shawty got low, low, low, low, low, low, low, low!"


We managed to get seats in Row 4, which was nice because Little Smoot could actually see for a change.  At age 11, it's often hard to see what's going on at things like this, especially once people start standing up and dancing.  And before I knew it, she was not only in the front row, but she wound up on the freakin' stage, dancing with Flo-Rida.  They had invited around 25 or so "Shawties" (I had to use my official Rapper to English Dictionary to look that up... it means "girls") to join them on the stage, and of course Little Smoot was right there.

I must say, it was a rather surreal moment to look at a stage where these gigantic rapping dudes were singing, and beside them was my own little Shawty, who for the record sang along to every word of the song.

We made it out unscathed, thankfully, and Little Smoot had some very jealous Shawty friends at school today.

1 comment:

Hoosaid Dat said...

This Fuddy duddy never heard of Flo Rida or Low so I went to the web. Here's a link:

http://www.mtv.com/videos/flo-rida/188796/low.jhtml


Catchy.