Thursday, January 7, 2010

My Morning Treasure Hunt

Imagine for a moment that you are my newspaper delivery individual.  Yes, I am aware that you are probably cranky much of the time, because you get up at some absurd hour of the morning to deliver newspapers to people like me.

Let's pretend that you have approached my home and you are about to deliver my newspaper.  Where would you suppose would be the best place to put it?

A.  Thrown randomly anywhere on the property.
B.  Conveniently underneath my car.
C.  In a neighbor's yard.
D.  In a nice, green mailbox, situated right beside the road and within the glow of a street light for your convenience, with the words "POST-GAZETTE" emblazoned on it; a box I personally erected several years ago because you keep choosing A, B and C!

I cannot fathom why it would be difficult to place the stinkin' newspaper into the mailbox that is obviously there for this single purpose.  But no.  Every morning it's like a treasure hunt for me.  I drop Little Smoot off at school, and then I begin hunting for the paper.  Sometimes it's obvious, sometimes it isn't.

The other day I couldn't find it at all, and I found it a day later by the neighbor's mailbox, buried in snow.  I suppose the delivery individual is hiding in the bushes somewhere nearby, watching to see if I am able to locate the paper each morning.  When I am able to find it, he/she probably wanders off in a huff, determined to hide it better the next day.

No comments: