Monday, November 17, 2008

So Much for the Final Frontier...

I've always been fascinated by the space program. I even drove to Florida several years ago specifically for the chance to see a shuttle launch in person (the photo on the right is one I shot during that trip to see the launch of Atlantis -- STS-101 -- in May 2000). Despite the inherent dangers, I have always thought that I'd jump at the opportunity to take a journey into space. There are just a couple things that come in the way of that dream.

For one, I'm vastly underqualified. If I were in charge of the family checking account, I'd still be writing entries like I did in college, like, "The bank says I have this much," because my math skills just aren't that great. I'm sure NASA requires a little math, as well as a few other skills I don't have. I could probably overcome this whole issue simply by winning the lottery so I could pay a few million to be a space tourist, I suppose.

The other stumbling block is a psychological issue I have, which pertains to the current mission that launched on Friday evening. The crew of the space shuttle Endeavor is delivering some new equipment to the International Space Station. The intent of the mission is to expand the living quarters to the extent that six people can live at the station for lengthy periods of time.

The component that gives me some concern is a device that will recycle human sweat, urine and other waste back into drinkable water. Mmmm mmm! Pass me the bottle, I'm parched! I suppose I'm just not astronaut material if I have issues with the idea of chugging my own pee, let alone the pee of my fellow astronauts.

As we were watching the launch on Friday night, I saw two different reporters showing off bottles of water that had been recycled this way, and one of the NASA-TV commentators demonstrated its safety by taking a hearty swig on camera. I'm confident that as soon as the camera was off of him, he undoubtedly sprayed it all over the place with a mighty spit, and ran screaming down the hallway to a room where he could have his mouth disinfected. At least that's what I would have done.

1 comment:

Hoosaid Dat said...

Where is Captain Video when you need him (but then yinz don't know who Captain Video is / was)