Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Shifting the Time Space Continuum

I have always considered myself to be a pretty adaptable person.  In particular, I have never had much trouble with time changes.  In fact, I often find it amusing when the TV news people give suggestions about how to cope with the big 1-hour time shift in the Spring and Fall.  Are people that regimented that they can't deal with Daylight Savings Time?  I dunno.

But here I am, almost a week after getting back from Hawaii, and I don't seem to be adjusted to the time change yet.  Hawaii is six hours behind us, which is a pretty big difference.  There were times on the trip when I was tempted to call someone back home as a prank at 9:00 p.m., which would have been 3:00 a.m. for them.  But I figured whoever I'd call would surely get revenge by calling me at 9:00 a.m. their time.  Or maybe it's the other way around.  Whatever.

Our last week of the cruise involved crossing the Pacific Ocean on our way to Vancouver (where Olympics-related memorabilia is half off, by the way!).  Every other day we would set our clocks back an hour as we crossed a few time zones, so by the time we got to Canada, we were only three hours different than our home time zone.

And I remain three hours off as we speak.  It seems that every night at midnight I'm still wide awake because my brain thinks it's only 9:00.  And mornings really stink.  I've been waking up to get Little Smoot off to school, and I'll sit down to have breakfast only to wake up several hours later wondering why I have oatmeal all through my hair.

There have been a couple days where I have simply gone right back to bed after getting Little Smoot to school, and I'll wake up at noon or some such thing.  Today I'm forcing myself to stay awake in hopes that I'll be able to fall asleep at a normal hour tonight.

Of course this might cause problems later tonight because I am the emcee for a banquet at our church.  Hopefully they weren't expecting me to stay awake and alert for the whole thing.

No comments: