Thursday, December 9, 2010

This Bites

I'm wondering if there's any way of making a kid believe in the Tooth Fairy again after the child has become a non-believer.

The Tooth Fairy used to be very helpful to me when Little Smoot had loose teeth.  I don't know whether she gets sentimentally attached to various teeth ("I once used this tooth for a particularly memorable bite of macaroni and cheese...") or what, but it seems like it takes forever for her loose teeth to fall out.

I'm sure it doesn't help that she knows that it makes me sick to see her teeth dangling around in her mouth.  She loves to show me that stuff, and I wince in agony every time she does it.  So right now she has a tooth that can probably hang a full inch below her gum line when she opens her mouth.  She complains about it constantly, and I obviously can't wait until the thing finally falls out.

Not too long ago I was able to convince her of all kinds of stupid things, thanks to the Tooth Fairy.  I'd tell her, "You know, I heard that the Tooth Fairy is most generous on Thursdays because that's her deadline for getting teeth to the factory in China."  Or whatever.

Surely at age 12 she's running out of baby teeth.  I'm sure running out of techniques to encourage her to get rid of them.

No comments: