Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Things a 42-Year-Old Shouldn't Be Doing - Part II

Continuing my "what I did this summer" series of immature things, I must say that I had a blast at the Noah's Ark water park in Wisconsin last week!

Back in 1985, when cavemen still wandered the Earth, my uncle took my brother and me to this same park.  I have fond memories of that trip, and the great time we had splishing and splashing through the various rides.

Well, a lot has changed in the last 25 years.  The biggest ride at Noah's Ark back then was called "The Plunge." It was a pretty simple ride -- you lie on a mat and go down a fairly tall slide.  It's a bit of a wussy ride nowadays, by comparison.

This year they opened a new ride called the Scorpion's Tail (pictured above on the left; The Plunge is beside it on the right), and I must say it was the most awesomeist, butt kickingest ride ever.  I had seen it on the Travel Channel before we took our trip, and I knew that I had to do this baby.

You climb up a seemingly endless number of stairs (which is why my calf muscles are still aching), and you come to a transparent capsule thing.  You climb into the capsule (after being weighed by the staff, purely so they can mock you, I assume), and before you know it, a creepy woman's voice is giving you a 3-2-1 countdown.

Once the countdown is over, the bottom drops out of the capsule and WHOOOSH!  Away you go, falling 10 stories at 40 mph down the tube, and through a freakin' LOOP!  They should make a video of the faces of people as they get to the end of the countdown -- it's a riot to watch them!  Of course I faked a yawn each of the times Little Smoot and I rode it.

I will reluctantly admit that at the end of our first day, I was praising the good Lord for whoever invented the concept of the "lazy river" raft ride, which involved no line, and absolutely no physical exertion.

Coming Soon:  Part III -- The Slip-N-Slide

No comments: